• Welcome to Forum.Deepsoftware.Com. Please login or sign up.

Has anyone used LPT component on 64 bit PC?

Started by denley, May 27, 2010, 12:23:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

denley

May 27, 2010, 12:23:44 pm Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:26:28 pm by denley
I have been using the LPT component (v 8.30) successfully in several programs on my PC with 32 bit Windows XP.  After I upgraded the same PC to Windows 7 X64 I can no longer open the LPT port.  I get a "Create service failed" error message with my programs and also the nrComm Lpt Demo.  I wonder if the problem is with the new driver Windows installed for the LPT port or is the component incompatible with 64 bit operating system?

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Thank you for information.

Current version of nrComm Lib contents 32bit driver only. The x64 platform needs a new 64-bit driver.
We will create and add 64-bit driver into next version of nrComm Lib.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware.Com
DeepSoftware llc - The professional components for Delphi/CBuilder/.NET. The high quality custom software development.
Forums.nrCommLib.Com - DeepSoftware Tech Support Forum.

denley

I see that you have released a version with a test signed driver for 64 bit Windows 7.  That is very good news!  Is a regular digitally signed driver in the near future?  I understand that digitally signed drivers are expensive and out of reach for many small developers.

Denley

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Yes current version has test signed driver version.

We are going to purchase a legal certificate for code signing during next 30 days.
We investigate this issue now.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware.Com
DeepSoftware llc - The professional components for Delphi/CBuilder/.NET. The high quality custom software development.

denley

Versions after 9.08 are supposed to have signed drivers but I am unable to get the LPT component to work on my Windows 7 64bit PC unless I put Windows in test mode (bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON).  I am using nrComm  version 9.10.  With test signing turned  on in Windows my application with the LPT control works fine.   With test signing off, whenever I enable the port I get the message  “LPT1 open is failed.  The system cannot find the file specified”.     What am I doing wrong?

Denley

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Thank you for your information.

Please find and delete all files and subfolders in your system TEMP directory.
Let me know results.
If it will not help - we will think more.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware.Com

denley

I emptied all the temp folders I could find and that did not make a difference.  I see that when I run my application that nrio.sys and nrx64stub.exe appear in the C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp folder.   If I check properties of nrio.sys, Windows reports that "This digital signature is OK." 

Denley

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Please run regedit.exe and try to find and kill following key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\nrio

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware.Com

denley

I deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\nrio entry in the registry and ran my app again.  I get the same "LPT1 open is failed" error from my program and Windows also pops up a Program Compatibility Assistant message saying that "Windows requires a digitally signed driver. A recently installed program tried to install an unsigned driver." 

Denley

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Thank you for your information.

Bad news :-(
Our CA provider provides code sign certificate that can not be used for kernel signing.

We will try to find another provider and get a new certificate as soon as possible.

I'm sorry :-(

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware.Com

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

nrComm Lib has signed kernel drivers now.

Since nrComm Liv v9.14 TnrLpt should work correctly on all platforms (included x64)

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware.Com