• Welcome to Forum.Deepsoftware.Com. Please login or sign up.

TnrGPS help/documentation missing, re-directed to TnsGSM (nrComm 9.22)

Started by jaguard, September 20, 2011, 03:44:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguard

Just downloaded the last trial version of your library (9.22) and looking for GPS features and it seams the documentation of TnrGPS is missing ... actually is pointing to TnrGSM instead

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Thank you for your information.
We are improving documentation every release.

Please note that you can take a look at Demos\GPSDemo\gpsdemo.dpr sample project for check TnrGPS component.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware LLC
DeepSoftware llc - The professional components for Delphi/CBuilder/.NET. The high quality custom software development.
Forums.nrCommLib.Com - DeepSoftware Tech Support Forum.

jaguard

Hi Roman,

10x for your fast reply, I was already looking into the demo to "discover" the actual properties that TnrGPS can use... I've seen also other areas where the documentation is wrong by linking to unrelated information ... Anyway I'm currently digging into nrComm to see how much it fits with my needs (GPS and Android communication: http://forums.nrcommlib.com/index.php?topic=1325.0)

Quote from: Roman Novgorodov on September 20, 2011, 04:06:37 am
Hello

Thank you for your information.
We are improving documentation every release.

Please note that you can take a look at Demos\GPSDemo\gpsdemo.dpr sample project for check TnrGPS component.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware LLC

jaguard

Hi Roman,

Regarding the TnrGPS component, I have some additional questions:

1) How the TnrGPS pooling interval can be adjusted (if any) to improve the data collection ?
2) Does the TnrGPS component using an asynchronous (push) or a pull (any background thread access?)  mechanism ?
3) Does TnrGPS fully support NMEA 0183 standard or there are any lacking ?
4) There is any easy way to provide a file source (ex: .GPX/GPS eXchange file) or emulator for the GPS "reader", like a virtual GPS (no GPS signals in the office ... you know) ? What do you suggest here ?  I found Virtual GPS http://www.zylsoft.com/vgps.htm but a built-in solution (if available) or a FREE/cheaper one will be definitely better:)
5) Do you have any additional demos for the GPS ? Could you share them (over NDA if needed) ?
6) Based on your experience, how accurate is the GPS speed detection ? It will be able to use it for real speed calculation (ex: Win tablet app in car)

Hopefully these questions will not bug you to much, but due to the missing/incorrect documentation and lack of samples I have no much help here during my evaluation of nrComm ... so I want to thank you in advance for your great and speedy responses :)

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Please see my answers below:

Quote1) How the TnrGPS pooling interval can be adjusted (if any) to improve the data collection ?
2) Does the TnrGPS component using an asynchronous (push) or a pull (any background thread access?)  mechanism ?

TnrGsm monitors incoming GPS information asynchronously. Usual GPS device sends data to PC every 1-2 seconds. Possible your device allows to change its settings for increase this period but you need investigate documentation for your GPS device.

Quote3) Does TnrGPS fully support NMEA 0183 standard or there are any lacking ?

Please note that NMEA specification is not free available.
We implemented most well-know NMEA reports. But if you can not find something in TnrGps, let me now and we will add it easy.

Quote4) There is any easy way to provide a file source (ex: .GPX/GPS eXchange file) or emulator for the GPS "reader", like a virtual GPS (no GPS signals in the office ... you know) ? What do you suggest here ?  I found Virtual GPS http://www.zylsoft.com/vgps.htm but a built-in solution (if available) or a FREE/cheaper one will be definitely better:)

It can be done very easy with TnrComm component and null-modem cable (or emulator) Possible we will include such tool in the future. We are using real device for test TnrGps.

Quote5) Do you have any additional demos for the GPS ? Could you share them (over NDA if needed) ?

GPS is very simple thing but possible we will add something new into GPSDemo sample project in the future. Sorry.

Quote6) Based on your experience, how accurate is the GPS speed detection ? It will be able to use it for real speed calculation (ex: Win tablet app in car)

It depends on quality (or manufacturer) of GPS chipset, GPS receiver and how many satellites are visible now. Our experience tells us that various built-in GPS chips (smartphones, iPad, PDA etc.) significant worse than standalone special GPS devices (like garmin and etc.)

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware LLC
DeepSoftware llc - The professional components for Delphi/CBuilder/.NET. The high quality custom software development.

jaguard

Hi Roman,

10x again for your answer with great details .... I see that nrComm has indeed great support !

Quote from: Roman
Quote from: Jaguard4) There is any easy way to provide a file source (ex: .GPX/GPS eXchange file) or emulator for the GPS "reader", like a virtual GPS (no GPS signals in the office ... you know) ? What do you suggest here ?  I found Virtual GPS http://www.zylsoft.com/vgps.htm but a built-in solution (if available) or a FREE/cheaper one will be definitely better:)

It can be done very easy with TnrComm component and null-modem cable (or emulator) Possible we will include such tool in the future. We are using real device for test TnrGps.

Could you please elaborate here a bit, I'll better use a software solution/emulator instead of any kind of hardware (even simple cables :)...).

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware LLC

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

We will try to think up something with GPS emulator tool.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware LLC

jaguard

Quote from: Roman Novgorodov on September 21, 2011, 03:45:26 pm
We will try to think up something with GPS emulator tool.

Really gooooood news then ! ... Another good addition to a package that looks great sofar :)

Just another question ...

Since Extended is aliased to Double in XE2 http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/VCL/XE2/en/System.Extended there are any issues/alterations for the GPS coordinates values expected (as mentioned the help don't show info on TnrGpsCoordinate, so I expect that the coordinates are encoded as Extended ) ?

Roman Novgorodov

Hello

Please take a look at edclaration of structure:

TnrGpsCoordinate = packed record
    Latitude : single;
    Longitude : single;
    Altitude : single;
    GeoidHeight : single;
  end;

Single is more than enough for reflect information from GPS report.

Roman Novgorodov
DeepSoftware LLC

jaguard

Quote from: Roman Novgorodov on September 22, 2011, 02:50:52 pm
Please take a look at edclaration of structure:

TnrGpsCoordinate = packed record
    Latitude : single;
    Longitude : single;
    Altitude : single;
    GeoidHeight : single;
  end;

Single is more than enough for reflect information from GPS report.

10x, its good to know ... I asked because I've seen other libraries using Extended for coordinates even thought that as you mentioned Single is sufficient.